Do You Need an Eye Exam in Boca Raton?
At Dr. Tamara Maule & Associates we take the time to give you a comprehensive eye exam. No matter what your age or physical health, it’s essential to have regular eye exams.
During a complete eye examination, our Boca Raton eye doctor will determine your prescription for glasses or contact lenses, and will also check your eyes for common eye disorders. Your doctor will also determine how your eyes work together as a team and assess your eyes as an indicator of your health.
A complete eye examination includes several tests that examine and evaluate how healthy your eyes are and the quality of your vision. Some of these tests are simple, such as reading an eye chart, and some are complicated, such as using a high-powered lens to examine the health of the tissues inside of your eyes.
Eye care experts suggest that you have a complete eye check-up every year, depending on how old you are, risk factors and physical condition.
Eye Exams For Children and Infants in Boca Raton, FL
Various specialists estimate that approximately 5% to 10% of preschoolers and 25% of school-aged children have problems with their vision. According to the American Optometric Association (AOA), every child should have their eyes examined at 6 months of age, at age 3 and again before school starts. Children who don’t have vision issues or risk factors for eye or vision problems are advised to have their eyes examined at least every two years throughout school.
- premature birth
- developmental delays
- turned or crossed eyes
- family history of eye disease
- history of eye injury
- other physical illness or disease
The AOA suggests that children who wear glasses or contact lenses should have an eye exam every 12 months, or more frequently, according to their eye doctor’s instructions. Read more about Pediatric Eye Exams.
Annual Eye Exam With Our Lenscrafters Optometrists
Any adult who wears glasses or contact lenses is recommended by the AOA to have an annual eye examination. Even if you don’t usually need vision correction, you still need an eye examination every two to three years up to the age of 40, depending on how quickly your vision is changing and your general health. Doctors often recommend examinations more often for adults with diabetes, high blood pressure and other disorders, as many diseases can have a negative impact on vision and eye health.
If you are over 40, it’s definitely a good idea to have an eye exam every one to two years to check for common age-related eye problems such as presbyopia, cataracts and macular degeneration.
The risk of eye disease increases with advancing age, and it is recommended that everyone over the age of 60 be examined annually. Read more about Vision After 60.
What Do We Check During Your Eye Exam?
Our Lenscrafters optometrists provide personalized service to each and every patient in our Boca Raton office. We’ll meet with you to determine which tests to perform based on your visual requirements and health condition. Our comprehensive eye exam may include:
- Your medical history: we want to know about your overall health, your family eye history and any medications you’re taking. This is also the time to share any vision complaints or eye symptoms that you may be experiencing.
- Preliminary testing: we’ll assess your eye muscle movements, peripheral awareness, how your pupils react to light and your color vision.
- Binocularity and accommodation: both of your eyes need to work together to see clearly. We’ll evaluate your eye teaming ability, as well as how efficiently you can switch focus between far and near.
- Visual acuity: a standard eye chart will be used to test your vision and a result of 20/20 is normal. Our Lenscrafters eye doctors will also use a phoropter to examine refractive error. You’ll be asked to look through different lenses and tell us which ones give you the crispest vision. This is how we accurately diagnose nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. Additionally, a retinoscope will be used to measure how light focuses with these lenses.
- Eye health: our optometrist in Boca Raton will inspect your retinal tissues with the assistance of a high-powered lens. Eye drops are generally applied to dilate your pupils before this evaluation. This test is an effective way to diagnose many common eye diseases.
- Glaucoma testing: a quick and painless procedure, the inner pressure of your eyes will be measured by using a tonometer.After our Lenscrafters optometrists finish your comprehensive eye examination, we’ll discuss the results with you. Together, we will determine the most appropriate treatment. Visit Dr. Tamara Maule And Associates in the Boca Raton Lenscrafters for all your eye care services.